Sunday, February 1, 2009

Milo's gone

Last night Mark received a text message from our son Jonah on the Big Island. "Milo was hit by a car. He's dead". Since the day Jonah adopted this pug-faced poi dog from the Humane Society, everyone has loved Milo. Kalei cried out "No!" when she called this morning, and I told her the news. She said "Jonah needs that dog".

Jonah and Mark exchanged a couple one-line emails, and Jonah said to "give him a few days". At such times, he doesn't want to talk.

It is hard to believe that Milo is gone. Though this is hardest for Jonah, Mark and I are surprised how much grief we feel -- for our son, and because we loved our "grand-dog" who brought so much delight to our family.

Living with the sorrow today, I found myself reading Thich Nhat Hanh's "Peace is Every Step". He offers some simple words to say with the breath:

Breathing in, I calm myself
Breathing out, I smile
Dwelling in the present moment,
I know this is a wonderful moment!

How can such a fucking terrible day be a wonderful moment?! I yelled in my head. It is so dark and painful to know that my son is suffering.

Because we have been through other losses these past few years, our family has been bound together by our grief. Jonah and Kalei's sorrow is ours as well. In the midst of this sadness, I cannot help but feel grateful that my son is such a deeply loyal and caring man who does not love lightly. This assures there will be more love and sorrow and joy in the years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. This is real; this is life; this is loss.
Weirdauntie

Anonymous said...

thanks for reading. good to hear from you again!